Bechtel Corporation Field Environmental Engineer in West Sussex, United Kingdom
Requisition ID: 200199
Responsible for assisting in the integration of specialized environmental requirements into the planning, permitting, design, and construction of Bechtel projects. Has responsibility for interpreting specialized requirements, evaluating and applying specialized scientific principles, and formulating scopes of work, plans, and methodologies suitable for achieving the desired objectives. Provides technical assistance to other Environmental Services (ES) Scientists/Engineers. May be assigned as an assistant project environmental lead or environmental coordinator/inspector.
For salary grade determination, see Addendum.
A. Supervision Received
- Receives technical and administrative supervision from the Manager of Environmental Services, Environmental Services Manager, Principal Environmental Scientist/Engineer, or supervisory Senior Environmental Scientist/Engineer. If assigned full-time on a project, receives supervision and work assignments from the Project Environmental Services Supervisor or Project ES&H Manager.
B. Supervision Exercised
Maintains relationships with internal Bechtel organizations (e.g., Engineering, Construction, and Subcontracts), customer, and contractor/subcontractor representatives to coordinate technical/scientific issues and implementation of ES functions into project proposals, designs, and construction plans.
Maintains contact, as appropriate, with government regulatory and resource agencies to obtain current information on new regulations, program initiatives, and technical requirements and standards.
Maintains contact with other ES personnel (e.g., Project Environmental Lead) to keep them informed of changing requirements and to provide technical assistance.
Maintains contact with professional colleagues and organizations in government, industry, and universities to keep abreast of advancements in the discipline field (e.g., wetlands mitigation, biological/ecological planning and mitigation, erosion and sediment control, air emissions monitoring, water quality, contaminated property remediation). ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Provides technical support to feasibility studies, site assessment studies, and ES&H Policy 111 reviews.Plans and coordinates work requiring independent judgment and experience in the application of standard, specialized scientific techniques and formulation of environmental mitigation measures and plans to reduce potential adverse environmental impacts. Prepares technical reports and reviews reports drafted by others
2. Provides specialized environmental input to Engineering, Construction, and Subcontracts, thus ensuring that environmental requirements are integrated into project planning, design criteria, construction plans and specifications and subcontracts.
3. Participates in meetings with customers, project team members, and contractors/subcontractors to advise them of specialized environmental requirements that may affect project design, construction schedule, and cost.
4. Responsible for drafting Environmental Compliance Plans, Construction Environmental Control Plans (CECP), project specific mitigation plans (e.g., wetlands mitigation, cultural resources protection plan), and technical reports.
5. Conducts environmental compliance inspections of project construction activities to monitor compliance with environmental requirements including contractual commitments, permits, the project’s CECP, and mitigation plans.
6. May be assigned as an Assistant Project Environmental Lead or Environmental Coordinator/Inspector on a small project. JOB KNOWLEDGE:
Specialized knowledge in a field of science (e.g., meteorology, ecology, biology, forestry, wetlands, archeology), engineering (e.g., civil, environmental, mechanical) or related disciplines.
Knowledge of environmental management, monitoring and mitigation systems, principles, and methodologies.
Knowledge of environmental laws and regulations and resource agencies’ permitting processes and responsibilities.
Knowledge of engineering, construction, and subcontract work processes.
Some experience in environmental monitoring and/or compliance inspection during construction.
Skilled in oral and written communication and knowledge of computer applications.
Bachelor of Science degree in a specialized scientific field (e.g., wetlands biology, meteorology, forestry, and archeology) or environmental/civil engineering and some practical work experience in the discipline performing the responsibilities listed above OR equivalent demonstrated experience.
Please Note : You must have the right to remain and work in the United Kingdom without sponsorship. Additionally the successful applicant for this position, located at a UK airport, will be required to provide a compliant basic level criminal record certificate that shows no disqualifying unspent cautions or convictions (see caa.co.uk/Commercial-Industry/Security/Regulation/Disqualifying-convictions/) either in the UK or overseas."
Any employment offer is contingent upon obtaining a UK airport permanent ID pass for you. To obtain the pass, you will be required to submit to a criminal record check that shows that none of the following disqualifying offenses apply to you (whether committed in the UK or overseas): caa.co.uk/Commercial-Industry/Security/Regulation/Disqualifying-convictions/.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.