Bechtel Corporation Safety Coordinator Early Works (Sydney) in Sydney, Australia
Requisition ID: 209679
Bechtel, a global leader in project management, engineering, procurement and construction, has been selected by WSA Co as its Delivery Partner and Project Manager (Definition) for the Western Sydney Airport, a $5.3 billion greenfield facility in Badgerys Creek, New South Wales. This will be a landmark project for both New South Wales and Australia, and is due for completion at the end of 2026.
Western Sydney Airport will provide much-needed additional aviation capacity to meet growing demand in the Sydney basin and improve access to flights for people in Western Sydney. One of Australia's most significant infrastructure projects in decades, the international and domestic airport will open in 2026, bringing social and economic prosperity to the Western Sydney region. Learn more about this exciting project at the following: www.wsaco.com.au .
Infrastructure Global Business Unit:
Infrastructure is not just about physical assets, such as roads and bridges. It is also about providing people with the power, clean water, communications, and mobility that they need. With the world population expected to reach more than 9 billion by 2050, purposeful, smartly, and sustainably designed infrastructure will become critical to expanding society’s access to public goods and innovations that advance individual and community capacity, well-being, national economic growth, and overall prosperity.
Read more here!
Assists in the integration of specialized safety requirements into the planning, permitting, design, and construction of Bechtel projects. Interprets specialized requirements, evaluates and applies specialized scientific principles, and formulates scopes of work, plans, and methodologies suitable for achieving the desired objectives. Provides technical assistance to other Safety Services Specialists/Engineers. May be assigned as a safety lead or safety coordinator/inspector.
A. Supervision Received
- Receives technical and administrative supervision from the Manager of Safety Services, Safety Services Manager, Principal Safety Specialist/Engineer, or supervisory Senior Safety Specialist/Engineer. If assigned full-time on a project, receives supervision and work assignments from the Project Safety Services Supervisor or Project ES&H Manager.
B. Supervision Exercised
Maintains relationships with internal organizations (e.g., engineering, construction, and subcontracts), customer, and contractor/subcontractor representatives to coordinate technical/scientific issues and implementation of safety functions into project proposals, designs, and construction plans.
Maintains contact, as appropriate, with government regulatory and resource agencies to obtain current information on new regulations, program initiatives, and technical requirements and standards.
Maintains contact with other safety personnel (e.g., project safety lead) to keep them informed of changing requirements and to provide technical assistance.
Maintains contact with professional colleagues and organizations in government and industry to keep abreast of advancements in the discipline field (e.g., energy isolation, lockout/tagout, personal protective equipment, risk assessment, working at heights, People Based Safety).
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Provides technical support to safety studies and assessments and other applicable safety and health reviews.
2. Provides specialized safety input to engineering, construction, and subcontracts, thus ensuring that safety requirements are properly integrated into project planning, design criteria, construction plans and specifications and subcontracts.
3. Participates in meetings, as required, with customers, project team members, and contractors/subcontractors to advise them of specialized safety and health requirements that may affect project design, construction schedule, and cost.
4. Assists in drafting ES&H Plans, project specific safety procedures, project specific implementation plans (e.g., evacuation plans, safety training plans and programs, People Based Safety), and technical reports.
5. Conducts safety inspections of project construction activities to monitor compliance with safety requirements including contractual commitments, permits, the project’s ES&H plan, and other applicable safety plans.
6. May be assigned as an assistant project safety lead or safety coordinator/inspector on a small project.
JOB KNOWLEDGE/BASIC QUALIFICATIONS:
Specialized knowledge in a safety specialty (e.g., Personal Protective Equipment, lockout/tagout, fall protection, excavation, People Based Safety) or engineering (e.g., civil, process safety, mechanical) or related disciplines.
Knowledge of safety management, monitoring programs, principles, and methodologies.
Knowledge of safety and health laws and regulations and applicable agencies’ permitting processes and responsibilities.
Knowledge of engineering, construction, and subcontract work processes.
Skilled in oral and written communication and knowledge of computer applications.
Bachelor of Science degree in a specialized scientific field (e.g., safety, industrial engineering, public health) or process/mechanical engineering and/or some practical work experience in the discipline performing the responsibilities listed above.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.