Bechtel Corporation Project Manager (Definition) Services Lead (Sydney) in Sydney, Australia
Requisition ID: 209254
Bechtel continue to attract the best talent to join our teams across the globe and we recognize that the ideal role may not be available just yet. As we continue to grow and expand, we are excited to speak to qualified professionals who are interested in opportunities in Sydney Australia.
We are keen to receive expressions of interest from Project Managers. If you wish to register your interest, please apply and your application will be reviewed by our Talent Acquisition team.
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that create long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Infrastructure Global Business Unit:
Infrastructure is not just about physical assets, such as roads and bridges. It is also about providing people with the power, clean water, communications, and mobility that they need. With the world population expected to reach more than 9 billion by 2050, purposeful, smartly, and sustainably designed infrastructure will become critical to expanding society’s access to public goods and innovations that advance individual and community capacity, well-being, national economic growth, and overall prosperity.
Responsible for managing, coordinating, and administering the project from the conceptual stages through planning, engineering, procurement, construction, start-up, performance testing, initial operations, and prime contract close-out. Responsible for assisting Business Development in expanding current work scope, developing proposal technical and pricing strategies and preparing proposal execution strategies/plans. Also supports communications and presentations to customers. Supervises the development of budgets and schedules, manages performance, reports progress, and initiates action to assure program/project objectives and schedules are met and work is performed within budget and according to specifications. Resolves problems and coordinates the final turnover of the project to the customer. Provides leadership for the development and maintenance of a high performance project team. Has overall responsibility for Program/Project execution, ensuring that Program/Project is delivered within contract requirements, standards of quality and safety and to Customer and Bechtel performance expectations.
For salary grade determination, see addendum.
- Reports to and receives technical and functional guidance from the Manager of Projects, Operations Manager or Manager of Operations.
- Provides direction to direct project reports.
Acts as the principal contact for the project scope of work with Customers and Bechtel management throughout the duration of the project.
Maintains contact with management personnel from suppliers, subcontractors, and governmental agencies as appropriate.
Maintains management level relationships with other participating entities responsible for performing services in connection with the project, including joint venture, alliance or consortium participants, multiple execution offices/sites and with appropriate organizations in the community.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Assists BD in developing win plans, preliminary project execution plans, estimating plans, proposal plans, proposals, and contract formulation. Reviews draft prime contract and proposal documents. Develops prime contract strategy and plan. Participates in prime contract negotiations including the negotiations of client/customer deliverables and the schedule for such deliverables. Ensures proper and clear Division of Responsibility (DOR) between Bechtel and JV partners including integrated work processes.
2. Establishes an appropriate, integrated organizational structure, including off-project functional and specialist support. Defines and communicates roles, responsibilities and authorities to project team members/partners and the Customer to ensure project completion in a safe manner, within budget, on schedule, and in conformance with the appropriate standards, specifications and applicable regulatory requirements. The project organizational structure should address multiple execution offices, multiple project entities, joint venture, alliance and consortium arrangements, as appropriate.
3. Ensures scope, design basis and objectives are defined, best practices/lessons learned reviewed, detailed work plans, schedules, budgets and procedures are established, including: Execution Plan; Contract Management Plan; Plan for addressing critical cross-functional work processes and systems, etc. Obtains concurrence by the members of the project team, functional management and the Customer. Ensures integration of work plans of multiple execution units or entities, such as Joint Ventures. Promotes the use of constructability reviews during project execution.
4. Monitors and controls all contractual commitments to ensure that all work is being performed in accordance with the specifications, drawings and terms of the contract, that a trend program is in place, that change orders and claims are processed in a timely manner. Implements and maintains a change management control system. Ensures that all Customer communications on the prime contract are documented. On behalf of the Customer, manages contractors on construction management projects.
5. Facilitates with project team the development, communication, implementation, update and continual use of the Project Execution Plan. Reviews and approves project control systems which measure progress/performance, provide early warning of deviations from Plan, and identify corrective actions to be taken.
6. Identifies quality requirements and ensures the proper processes are identified and implemented to achieve contractual quality commitments. Assesses customer perception of quality on a regular periodic basis.
7. Oversees the Environmental, Safety & Health program for both the office and field work environments including contractor and subcontractor activities. Ensures design is in accordance with ES&H laws and regulations applicable to the projects (country).
8. Oversees the Document Control and Records Management function. Coordinates the documentation and software turnover package to the client at the end of the project. Ensures that customer standards for documentation and electronic files are maintained, as appropriate.
9. Reviews and approves bid tabulations for commitments on all major purchase orders, contracts, and sub-contracts, and approves critical changes to these documents in accordance with the delegated commitment authority. Promotes and uses global acquisitioning and MPAGs as appropriate. Considers currency protection and hedging, as appropriate.
10. Directs the preparation and presents the Project Financial Status Report (PFSR) to Bechtel management.
11. Monitors cash flow to minimize the use of Bechtel capital resources on the project. Informs the Customer of the current and anticipated cash requirements. Establishes and controls the budget for non-reimbursable project costs.
12. Assists in the training of new project managers and other project personnel in key positions through both formal training courses and on-the-job training. Establishes a plan to provide training opportunities for project personnel.
13. Promotes the management concept of Continuous Improvement (CI) among all members of the project team. Leads the CI process for the Customer and Bechtel. Promotes, monitors and mentors the concept of total installed cost (TIC). Initiates, promotes and continually practices team building.
14. Conducts periodic project and Customer meetings consistent with the project communications plan to promote and facilitate communication, review progress/performance, discuss issues and facilitate problem resolution. Develops communication plan to ensure effective communications between the project team, the Customer and off-project operations, Functional Management, RIU/EU and Senior Management.
15. Documents all turnover activities and obtains Customer’s final acceptance of the work. Prepares and submits the Final Project Report to Bechtel management and the Customer. Closes out the prime contract.
Knowledge of Bechtel organization, policies, procedures and programs including QA and Safety.
Knowledge of industry, technology and EPC work processes, including knowledge of customs, culture and business practices of Region/Country where project is located. Knowledge and understanding of working arrangements with joint ventures, alliances and consortiums. Experience with lump sum and reimbursable projects.
Knowledge of front-end activities including:
Best Practices/Lessons Learned
Risk Analysis/Contingency Evaluation
Estimate/Proposal Review Process
Ability to effectively organize and staff a project team in a matrix organization.
Knowledge and understanding of Bechtel standard tools, techniques and procedures including:
Automation, including standard office tools
Root Cause Analysis
Knowledge and experience in baseline development and implementation including:
Roles and Responsibilities
Estimates and resource loaded schedules
Progress and performance curves and metrics
Reports and action items tracking
Business and Commercial awareness including:
Cash flow management
Currency management and hedging strategies
Conserving the use of Bechtel capital
Knowledge and experience in Project Execution Plan development and implementation.
Knowledge of continuous improvement methodologies.
Knowledge and experience in contracts/subcontracts formulation, risk analysis, negotiations, and implementation including:
Change control and documentation management
Cost trend program and its linkage to change control
The hierarchy of requirements documents in case of conflict (RFP, Proposal, Contract, etc.)
Joint Ventures, Alliances and Consortiums
Knowledge of project insurance issues/options.
Knowledge of cross functional work processes and interface knowledge, especially Project Controls, Supply Chain management, Quality management and the ability to manage the relationships/interfaces with management and functional groups.
Oral, written and graphic communication and presentation skills.
Ability to conduct effective meetings.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.