Bechtel Corporation Project Director (Sydney) in Sydney, Australia
Requisition ID: 209253
Bechtel continue to attract the best talent to join our teams across the globe and we recognize that the ideal role may not be available just yet. As we continue to grow and expand, we are excited to speak to qualified professionals who are interested in opportunities in Sydney Australia.
We are keen to receive expressions of interest for Project Director. If you wish to register your interest, please apply and your application will be reviewed by our Talent Acquisition team.
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that create long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Infrastructure Global Business Unit:
Infrastructure is not just about physical assets, such as roads and bridges. It is also about providing people with the power, clean water, communications, and mobility that they need. With the world population expected to reach more than 9 billion by 2050, purposeful, smartly, and sustainably designed infrastructure will become critical to expanding society’s access to public goods and innovations that advance individual and community capacity, well-being, national economic growth, and overall prosperity.
Responsible for directing Project Managers in the overall execution of Bechtel assignments on projects. Assigns project managers to proposal work and awarded projects, provides training for all project managers, and administers salaries and the career development process for the group. Participates in business development activities including the presentation of the organization’s project capabilities.
A. Supervision Received
- Reports to and receives general operational guidance from the Business Line Manager.
B. Supervision Exercised
- Provides operational supervision and technical guidance to project managers and other members of the project management function.
Maintains contact with the senior management of our customers as required to support project management and ensure the adequacy of the organization’s performance on their projects.
Maintains continuous contact with Business Line and Regional Office management to ensure that the proper planning of the work is in place to reduce problems during project execution.
Maintains continuous contact with counterparts in other Business Lines.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Formulates and recommends project management policies, plans, and programs for the orderly execution of projects. Establishes management philosophy and procedures for the execution of all assigned projects to ensure consistency of approach and the sharing of information and experiences among projects.
2. Establishes and implements staffing plans for the project management function on proposals, programmed overhead, and awarded projects.
3. Regularly monitors the progress of active projects and ensures that responsible actions are being taken by members of the project management team. Reviews and approves project execution plans, project CI plans and team building programs, and other critical project plans and/or documents.
4. Directs the activities of assigned staff and provides for proper delegation of management authority, responsibility, and accountability.
5. Ensures that interdepartmental problems are resolved promptly and that an integrated approach is followed in the performance of the project.
6. Reviews and approves project man-hour estimates for use in proposals, estimates, and forecasts.
7. Reviews and approves the release of project cost estimates, schedules, major trends, and forecasts to customers. Also reviews and approves major changes or deviations to these control documents.
8. Assists Business Development in the presentation of Company and Business Line qualifications for the execution of projects, initial contract negotiations, and client relations.
9. Provides for training of members of the project management function. Develops a cadre of trainers to provide consistent and continuous training.
10. Develops a Continuous Improvement (CI) awareness in the Business Line such that the project management function is viewed as the leader of the CI process within the project teams.
Thorough knowledge of construction, engineering, procurement and other project-related activities, including their interfaces and interdependencies. Broad knowledge of industry standards.
Ability to plan, organize, lead, and monitor a wide variety of team efforts to their successful completion.
Experience in business development strategy and sales presentations.
Ability to establish and maintain strong and effective customer relations.
Proven leadership and management ability. Understands and is committed to Bechtel’s Continuous Improvement (CI) process and leadership principles. Ability to be people sensitive, to promote an open and informal communication environment, to develop mutual trust and teamwork, and to facilitate employee self-development.
Ability to recognize people for their accomplishments organizations and that customers and Bechtel are made aware of these accomplishments.
Understands financial analysis and planning concepts.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.