Bechtel Corporation Fire Life Safety Engineer in Sydney, Australia
Requisition ID: 210138
Bechtel, a global leader in project management, engineering, procurement and construction, has been selected by WSA Co as its Delivery Partner and Project Manager (Definition) for the Western Sydney Airport, a $5.3 billion greenfield facility in Badgerys Creek, New South Wales. This will be a landmark project for both New South Wales and Australia, and is due for completion at the end of 2026.
Western Sydney Airport will provide much-needed additional aviation capacity to meet growing demand in the Sydney basin and improve access to flights for people in Western Sydney. One of Australia's most significant infrastructure projects in decades, the international and domestic airport will open in 2026, bringing social and economic prosperity to the Western Sydney region. Learn more about this exciting project at the following: www.wsaco.com.au .
Infrastructure Global Business Unit:
Infrastructure is not just about physical assets, such as roads and bridges. It is also about providing people with the power, clean water, communications, and mobility that they need. With the world population expected to reach more than 9 billion by 2050, purposeful, smartly, and sustainably designed infrastructure will become critical to expanding society’s access to public goods and innovations that advance individual and community capacity, well-being, national economic growth, and overall prosperity.
Read more here!
Retains technical accountability for developing, interpreting, organizing, and coordinating the Fire Life Safety architectural and engineering work on a large complex project. The work elements include building fire hazards analysis, risk assessments, fire separation criteria, tenability analysis, smoke control, paths of egress, and fire protection and detection systems design. The Fire Life Safety Engineer is accountable for support of timely delivery of the Design work packages developed by 3rd Party engineering consultants and/or design firms. Reports to the Design Manager and ensures the building designers deliver to the Project requirements.
Receives operational supervision from the Design Manager. Receives administrative supervision from a global business unit Engineering Functional Manger in terms of broad general objectives and limits.
Exercises functional direction over assigned Engineers and Designers.
Participates in contacts with the client on matters relating to Fire Life Safety architectural and engineering progress and quality. Participates, as appropriate, in contacts with prospective and present clients to help develop new business for the global business unit.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Reporting to the Design Manager on Fire Life Safety Engineering performance on cost, progress and technical issues.
2. Coordinating, facilitating and managing the Fire Life Safety interfaces, including 3rd party access and approvals between the contractor and other parties both internal and external.
3. Managing and monitoring the 3rd Party designer’s Fire Life Safety performance with relation to schedule and cost control.
4. Coordinate the review and acceptance of 3rd Party produced Fire Life Safety design documents.
5. Coordinating the supply of technical information to the designer to allow the Fire Life
Safety program to progress.
6. Reviews changes or deviations in Fire Life Safety design scope, material quantities, budget or schedule, and assists particularly with defining the change, obtaining accurate estimates of the hours involved, and recommending budget adjustment.
7. Participates in project planning prior to proposals to provide technical guidance in the engineering and construction review of proposals.
8. Develop emergency strategies & plans covering emergency response, firefighting and evacuation;
1. Able to use available fire engineering computer programs including dynamic modeling tools for fire and smoke analysis.
2. Champions the creation of a work environment, supported by leadership, which fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction on the project or program.
Good working knowledge of the US National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards, in particular NFPA 101 and NFPA 130 and all related and sub referenced Fire and Life Safety standards.
Extensive technical knowledge of Fire Life Safety engineering systems, calculations, applications of engineering methods and materials and applications of 3-D computer aided design (CAD) and computer aided engineering (CAE) to engineering problems.
Proficient knowledge of activities and operations in other functions including procurement, construction, environmental safety and health (ES&H), and quality assurance.
Demonstrated skill in oral and written communication including technical writing.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, open-minded with an energetic and proactive personal style.
Experience in complex stakeholder management and negotiation.
Proficient in negotiation for dealing with client representatives.
A recognized degree in Architecture or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited college or university, AND
A professional license in Fire Life Safety from a recognized licensing board is preferred, AND
Extensive progressive work experience preferably in project and staff design architecture or engineering.
Experience in Fire Life Safety design efforts including management of 3rd Party designers with a minimum of 2 large infrastructure projects, Aviation or Rail project experience.
Broad knowledge of industry/regulatory/local codes and standards and design criteria in Fire Life Safety engineering. Aviation or Rail project experience.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.