Bechtel Corporation Paving Lead Field Engineer in Nairobi, Kenya
Requisition ID: 206861
Leads paving construction field engineers in a broad range of construction engineering work within specific construction paving engineering discipline for the project. Paving includes the following sections: mechanical subbase, cement stabilized base, Asphalt Treated Base, Asphalt Concrete Binder Course, Asphalt Concrete Wearing Course, and Concrete. Provides engineering assistance to superintendents, develops and manages site specific SWPPs, directs assigned personnel in meeting cost and time schedules, verifies materials, equipment, and quality and assures results meet design requirements.
A. Supervision Received
Receives technical and operational supervision from Project Field Engineer B. Supervision Exercised
Provides technical and administrative direction to subordinate construction engineers and others, as assigned. C. Contacts
Jobsite contacts are with superintendents and subcontractor’s personnel associated with construction engineering.
Continuous interfacing with client personnel, pertaining to negotiations on subcontract changes.
Interface with the engineering design functional group to identify and resolve design- related issues as implemented in the field. ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Responsible for the activities of assigned construction engineers, such as the application of drawings, specifications, and subcontracts.
2. Directs preparation of quantity listings of field purchased material and equipment. Initiates requisitions for field purchases.
3. Supervises preparation of construction drawings and schedules. Supervises design of temporary construction facilities and ensures preparation of “as built” drawings and other job plans.
4. Assists subordinate construction engineers and superintendents in:
Interpreting design drawings.
Monitoring equipment installation and planning for delivery of construction materials and equipment.
Assuring that proper storage exists to ensure environmental protection.
1. Reviews specifications, purchase orders, subcontracts, inspection reports, delivery schedules, instruction manuals and technical data.
2. Administers assigned subcontracts to ensure contract remains up to date in areas such as drawings, specifications, cost and schedule.
3. Coordinates with the Field Construction Manager on activities affecting the contract administration operation.
4. Coordinates with engineering design on constructability issues.
5. Supervises subcontractor work efforts and administers routine subcontract changes and interfaces with client personnel. May represent the company in contractual discussions and negotiations.
6. Reviews and/or supervises, as assigned, the preparation of construction estimates, cost engineering studies, schedules and budgets.
7. Analyzes assigned construction activities to determine the scope, time and resource requirements.
8. Ensures that vendors’ bids for material and equipment are in conformance to specifications.
9. Coordinates the interfacing between the construction automation plan and the project controls program at the jobsite. Reviews project controls documents on progress relating to cost and schedule.
10. Performs personnel evaluation of assigned subordinate personnel and ensures they receive progressive training.
11. May direct minimal numbers of manual craft field forces during project closeout.
12. Works with various functions to ensure the project achieves corporate goals set for environmental, safety & health, quality, cost, and schedule. JOB KNOWLEDGE:
Technical knowledge of paving field construction engineering discipline for the pavement sections referenced above, including mix designs, installation, compaction, finishing, cost, scheduling and contracts administration relating to the construction of infrastructure projects
Mandatory previous paving experience on roadway infrastructure projects
Demonstrated leadership in a team-based environment.
Demonstrated prior experience leading construction field engineering disciplines on infrastructure projects
Knowledge and understanding of the application and requirements of the Project Environmental, Safety & Health (ES&H) Handbook and the Bechtel Core Processes as they relate to area of responsibility.
Familiar with Bechtel’s Business Ethics handbook and policies.
Prior experience supervising and administering subcontractors.
Knowledge of Bechtel’s “Zero Accidents” safety program.
Computer literate in word processing, spreadsheet and database applications in accordance with current Bechtel Standard Application Program (BSAP) standards.
Knowledge of the use of subcontracts; knowledge of the contractor/ subcontractor’s responsibilities contained in subcontract documents.
On a large project, functions as a lead discipline engineer, coordinating related discipline activities and interfacing with other areas/disciplines on the jobsite.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.