Bechtel Corporation Civil/Structural Engineer in London, United States
Independently performs complex professional engineering assignments in Oil, Gas and Chemicals Global Business Unit design office or field requiring the application of specialized and/or advanced engineering principles associated with the Civil, Structural and Architectural (CSA) Engineering discipline.. May direct personnel on special studies or special segments of a client project. May participate in the formulation and development of advanced engineering concepts associated with proposal development design or construction. Recognized within Bechtel for professional competence and potential as an outstanding technical specialist.
A. Supervision Received
- Performs most assignments independently with instructions as to the general requirements.Receives technical guidance from supervisory level scientists, engineers or engineering managers on unusual or complex problems.
B. Supervision Exercised
- Does not supervise, but provides functional guidance to scientists, engineers, designers, drafters, technicians and others who assist in performing specific assignments.
- Independently contacts subcontractor representatives and project field personnel to gather or give information.Contacts client counterparts and regulatory agency personnel, as directed.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Performs work, in the Civil, Structural and Architectural (CSA) Engineering discipline within the Oil, Gas and Chemicals Business Unit, which involvesdevelopment and/or interpretation of design criteria and specifications for most complex systems, processes, structures and equipment . Performs work that involves conventional engineering practice associated with design of steel and concrete structures, foundations and buildings in industrial facilities but may include complex features such as resolving conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials and/or difficult coordination requirements.
2. Serves as a technical consultant to engineering management, providing advice and counsel on special engineering assignments.
3. Assists in new business efforts involving specialized engineering applications.Develops preliminary cost estimates and participates in proposal preparation and presentation.
4. Prepares and reviews project controls, cost estimates, and staffing requirements for projects, forecasts and change orders.
5. Provides technical direction and assigns work to subordinate engineers and others who assist on specific assignments.Reviews and checks work.
6. Coordinates and monitors the work of unique field engineering activities and of specialized outside consultants.May participate in selection of outside consultants.
7. Conducts or leads special studies on economic feasibility, new technologies, methods, or materials.Prepares and presents technical papers of the studies performed.
8. Interprets new or special governmental regulations engineering codes, standards, criteria and performance data.
9. Participates in the development and coordination of special technical educational and training programs for clients and/or Bechtel personnel.
10. Assists in the preparation and reviews of project procedures and cost estimates for proposals, forecasts and change orders.
11. Participates in and fosters a work environment that is based upon openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
Technical knowledge of engineering systems and calculations, application of civil/structural engineering methods and construction methods and materials. Experience in preparation and checking of analysis and design deliverables (concepts, calculations, drawings and quantities) for steel and concrete structures, foundations and piling, buildings and associated anchorage and connections. Experience in 3D modeling of structures and finite element analysis methods.
Broad knowledge of precedents in specialty areas associated with civil/structural engineering discipline and of principles and practices of related technical areas. These include linear/non-linear static and dynamic analysis of structures, dynamic analysis and design of machine foundations, soil dynamics and earthquake engineering.
Proficiency in application of computer aided engineering (CAE)/computer aided design (CAD) tools such as STAAD.Pro, SAP2000, ANSYS, GTStrudl and MathCad to solve advanced civil/structural engineering problems.
Knowledge of current industry or regulatory codes and standards and study criteria pertinent to the civil/structural engineering discipline including those developed by AISC, ACI, ASCE, AWS, ASTM International , IBC and other international codes and standards.
Advanced skills in oral and written communications, specifically in preparation, review and discussion of technical documents.
Understanding and working knowledge of Engineering Department Procedures (EDPs), design guides, and relevant Bechtel Standard Application Programs (BSAPs).
Understanding of engineering planning and control methods including computerized methods.
Understanding of the roles played by other departments on projects including basic construction practices and the economics involved.
A recognized graduate or doctorate degree in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering or related a scientific or engineering discipline, from an accredited college or university, AND
A Professional Engineer (PE) license in Civil or Structural Engineering from a recognized licensing board, AND
Practical progressive work experience in engineering or scientific disciplines or relevant equivalent experience in related engineering or scientific disciplines sufficient to demonstrate competence as a trained engineering or technical specialist
BOPS Guidelines include the minimum time that you need to be in your current position before applying to a new position. Please refer to the Guidelines and ensure you meet the minimum requirements.