Bechtel Corporation Environmental Consultant in Jubail, Saudi Arabia
Requisition ID: 206700
Saudi Arabian Bechtel Company (SABCO) has worked as the management services contractor (MSC) directly with our client, the Saudi Arabian Royal Commission for the last 30 years. We are the Engineering, Procurement, and Construction managers, managing design submissions from local A/E firms, contract and procurement management, and overseeing all construction works being performed by local contractors and sub-contractors in Jubail Industrial City.
Projects we are actively involved with in Jubail include: new residential communities, petrochemical industrial zone site preparation, various commercial buildings and structures, mosques, schools, hospitals, sports facilities, clinics, a new 30,000 student university, utility services and infrastructure (electrical sub-stations, lift stations), roads and highways, port & pipeline expansions, and more.
Responsible for executing assignments for specialized or unique scientific/environmental engineering requirements pertaining to the permitting, design, and construction of RC Jubail projects. Has technical responsibility for interpreting complex requirements and formulating scopes of work, plans, and methodologies suitable for achieving the desired objectives. Provides technical support and guidance to other Environmental Services (ES) scientists and engineers assigned to projects. May serve as a senior expert in one or more environmental specialties or recognized Bechtel subject matter expert, a Project Environmental Lead, or as a Project Environmental Services Supervisor on a large-scale, complex project.
A Supervision Received
Receives direction from the Program Manager.
Receives functional direction from the customer Environmental Protection and Control Director as seconded position to Royal Commission
Provides operational direction to other Environmental Team members on the Project, including the departmental nominated Environmental Lead(s), as assigned.
Works closely with the Program Manager and Royal Commission Environmental Protection and Control Department
1. Ability to a make technical decisions covering environmental aspects of the industries, communities and other related activities.
2. Responsible for the successful implementation and completion of the technical aspects of the work with quality and timeliness submission of reports.
3. Shall maintain an appropriate measure of compliance with environmental regulations.
4. Conduct environmental impact assessments to identify the site's future environmental priorities.
5. Adviser on technical issues, training and supporting other technical staff.
6. Responsible for executing assignments that are highly technical or have unique scientific/environmental engineering requirements pertaining to permitting, design, and construction .
7. Responsible for ensuring that complex environmental requirements are integrated into project planning, development of engineering design criteria, construction work plans and schedules, and subcontract bid specifications.
8. Participates in meetings with customers, project management, and contractors/subcontractors to advise them of complex or unique environmental requirements that may affect project execution.
9. Serves as an ES subject matter expert resource (e.g., air pollution control, wastewater treatment, hazardous material/waste management, erosion and sediment control, wetlands mitigation, and biological/ecological resource/habitat protection). Keeps other ES staff and management apprised of changes in regulatory requirements, new technologies, standards, and current industry practices.
10. Reviews ES and other functions policies and procedures (as related to ES roles/responsibilities) and makes recommendations for revising/developing procedures and processes as required.
11. Serves as technical lead in conducting special studies on site assessments, new technologies, and methods.
12. Assists in the development of environmental awareness training programs with emphasis on specialized requirements (e.g., waste management, sensitive resource/species protection, air emissions testing/monitoring).
Conducts ES reviews of projects to monitor compliance with environmental requirements including contractual commitments, permits, and internal Bechtel standards and procedures for environmental compliance.
Master's Degree from an accredited U.S. or Western European University in Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering (or similar environmentally related scientific or engineering discipline)
Minimum of fifteen (15) years relevant working experience, three (3) of which should have been in the management of environmental departments.
Must have sufficient previous experience from refineries & petrochemical plants as well as from environmental regulatory bodies or environmental consultants.
Advanced and specialized knowledge in a field of science, environmental engineering, or related discipline.
In-depth knowledge of scientific/environmental engineering systems, principles, and methodologies.
Knowledge of national and international environmental laws/regulations and regulatory/resource agencies’ permitting processes and responsibilities, industry standards for environmental compliance (including but not limited to USEPA, EEA), and best management practices for minimizing potential environmental impacts during construction.
Native or advanced capability to speak, read and write in the English language
Proficiency in managing technical evaluations/studies and supervising technical staff.
Experience in managing and/or providing technical oversight of environmental subcontractors or consultants.
Prior progressive work experience in office settings (e.g., managing environmental programs, budgets and staff) and field environments (e.g., construction execution and/or operating facilities) performing the responsibilities listed above.
Ph.D. from an accredited U.S. or Western European University in Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering (or similar environmentally related scientific or engineering discipline)
Knowledge of engineering and construction systems, methods, and work processes.
Knowledge of construction planning, estimating, procedures, and execution.
Experience in environmental monitoring and compliance inspection during construction.
Excellent skills in oral and written communication .
Self-motivated individual with good leadership skills and experience and the ability to influence without authority.
Ability to manage priorities and take on additional evolving responsibilities with demonstrated experience providing direction/supervising a team.
Ability to work within an integrated RC/Bechtel team at multiple levels from working level to Project Manager level
Demonstrated ability to influence key stakeholders to make critical decisions where required.
Ability to work within a culturally diverse organization, recognizing and respecting differences
Able to demonstrate experience of ‘teaching’ (knowledge transfer) on a range of environmental topics
For more information and to view a video on Jubail, please copy & paste the following address into a new browser window so as not to navigate away from this page:
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, procurement, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right- no matter how big, how complex or how remote. The reliability of our performance, the enduring quality of our projects, the strength of our ethics, and the seriousness of our commitment to safety and sustainability are evident in everything we do. Bechtel delivers for its customers what others can only promise.
Build your career as you build some of the most challenging and complex projects in the world today.
Bechtel is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer (AA/EOE).