Bechtel Corporation Area Project Engineer in Houston, Texas
Requisition ID: 211040
Supervises the engineering activity (all disciplines) on a project, or designated portions of a project, for a global business unit. Plans and directs engineering assignments on the project. Has technical responsibilities for interpreting, organizing, executing, and coordinating these assignments.
A. Supervision Received
Receives operational supervision from a Project Manager or senior Project Engineer.
Receives administrative and technical supervision from an Engineering Manager, Manager of Engineering or a senior Project Engineer. Assignments given in terms of broad general objectives and limits.
B. Supervision Exercised
- Exercises operational supervision over the engineers of all disciplines and architects assigned to the project or portion of the project.
As the point of Bechtel-Client contact on engineering aspects of assigned project or portions of a project, maintains regular client contact for progress of work, exchange of information, advice.
Represents Engineering in respect of major items with suppliers and project personnel in jobsite conferences.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Directs and coordinates engineering activities for the project or assigned portion including supervision of engineers of all disciplines within a global business unit.
2. Establishes or assists in establishing the detailed project execution plan and the development of the overall project engineering budget and schedule. Inputs to and owns the engineering elements of a project capital estimate (proposals and execution) quantities and budgets.
3. Performs and manages the work in accordance with relevant Engineering Department Procedures (EDPs), design guides and Bechtel Standard Application Programs (BSAPs).
4. Develops design and procurement schedules for approval.
5. Prepares, approves or recommends approval of project procedures for engineering, as required.
6. Coordinates engineering effort with Project Manager, Procurement, Construction, Startup, Environmental Safety and Health (ES&H) and Project Controls when assigned.
7. When assigned directs engineering activities in preparation of project proposals, including estimates for engineering staffing, quantities, scope reviews, schedules and coordination with Business Development and other functional groups.
8. Conducts annual performance reviews in accordance with approved procedures and holds career development discussions.
9. Reviews and approves design documents, change orders, material requisitions and specifications for construction or procurement use.
10. Supervises the preparation of, reviews and endorses bid analyses and recommendations for procurement of equipment material and services within Engineering’s scope of responsibility.
11. Resolves field initiated questions on engineering.
12. Visits jobsite as required for exchange of information.
13. Coordinates activities among the design groups on the project.
14. Initiates requests for specialized professional services.
15. Initiates Bechtel/Client correspondence related to the engineering portion of the contract.
16. Reviews project engineering progress against approved schedules, evaluates changes and takes corrective action when required.
17. Makes recommendation to Engineering Management of key personnel for project assignments.
18. Manages the flow of information required from third parties to assure the timely progress of the engineering work.
19. Prepares or directs the preparation of project studies, reports, forecasts, special engineering reports and plant data book.
20. Ensures that Technical Risk Assessments are comprehensive and complete, safety practices and procedures are implemented, and engineering design and corresponding design documentation are in compliance with project Quality Assurance plan and procedures.
21. Communicates complex technical issues and recommends solutions to client, project and functional management as directed and as appropriate.
22. Champions the creation of a project work environment, supported by leadership on the project/program, which fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction. .
Technical knowledge of related engineering systems, engineering calculations, applications of engineering and construction methods and materials, and engineering application of computers.
Proficient knowledge of project engineering processes and procedures.
Knowledge of related construction practices and the economics involved and current knowledge of new methods of design and construction.
Proficient knowledge on planning, application and coordination of 2-D and/or 3-D Computer Aided Design (CAD) design processes on a project.
Knowledge of industry/regulatory codes and standards and design criteria pertinent to the particular discipline.
Skill in oral and written communication.
Demonstrated skill in supervision.
The above is normally acquired through:
A recognized degree in architecture, an engineering or scientific discipline from an accredited college or university, OR
A professional license in an appropriate discipline from a recognized licensing board, OR
Specialized courses in relevant general engineering, architectural design or an appropriate engineering discipline, AND
Progressive work experience, including supervision, preferably in project and staff design engineering or architectural design but may include other relevant types of engineering including startup, field engineering or plant operation in large industrial plants, utilities, process plants or engineering/construction firms.
Grade 27 Determination
Supervises the engineering activity on a relatively small size project, or designated portions of a larger project.
May exercise operational supervision over other project engineers when in a designated lead position.
Requires basic knowledge of administrative practices.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.