Bechtel Corporation Senior Industrial Hygienist(193041) Job in Waynesboro, Georgia
Requisition ID: 193041
Position Title: Senior Industrial Hygienist (193041)
Project: Vogtle Plant Units 3 and 4 Construction Services
Location: Waynesboro, GA
Relocation Authorized: National - Family
Work Authorization: Possess right to work in the US without sponsorship
Other Requirements: Pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Other Requirements: Must be able to obtain proper clearance and access to the site.
In August of 2017, Georgia Power selected Bechtel to complete construction of the two-reactor expansion of a nuclear power plant near Augusta, Georgia. Plant Vogtle Units 3 & 4 will be the first new units built in the U.S. in the last three decades and are currently the only new units being constructed in the country.
At the peak of construction, this vital project will employ up to 5,000 on site. These positions will include building tradespeople, engineers, field supervisors, construction and project managers, quality assurance professionals, safety professionals, procurement, subcontract specialists and many others.
This position may be required to work a schedule of rotating shifts including nights, weekends, or holidays. All employees are subject to and agree to random drug and alcohol testing as a condition of continued employment for the duration of their assignment. The ability to obtain/maintain access to the facility is required.
Plans, develops, monitors, and evaluates industrial hygiene (IH) processes for projects and operating facilities. Assists projects and operating facilities in developing and implementing IH programs and procedures, collecting IH data (air, surface, liquid and bulk samples), and implementing IH emergency response capabilities. Identifies and analyzes occupational health hazards and develops control methods to mitigate risk. Works independently and under minimal supervision to plan and conduct work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, application, and adaptation of IH techniques, control procedures, and implementing criteria.
A. Supervision Received
- Reports to and receives operational direction from the project Principal Industrial Hygienist and/or Project ES&H Manager as assigned. Receives functional/technical supervision from the Manager of Health Services.
B. Supervision Exercised
- Provides IH technical direction to subordinates; provides guidance to the Environmental, Safety or Health professionals.
Maintains contact with project or facility contractor/subcontractor personnel to monitor compliance with IH programs.
Maintains contact with personnel in ES&H, Legal, Engineering, Procurement, Quality Assurance, Quality Control, Medical Services, Construction, Contracts, and the client’s organization to implement IH strategies, specifications, policies and specific control measures and to monitor compliance with the IH programs.
Contacts regulatory agencies as required.
Maintains contact with professional peers through local, national and international organizations.
1. Develops and implements IH programs including IH processes, procedures, specifications, and/or training courses. Assists the Principal Industrial Hygienist in developing and implementing IH policies as necessary.
2. Monitors daily work practices utilized by Bechtel and/or contractors/subcontractors to ensure compliance with established programs, policies, and applicable regulations. Advises project management of noncompliance and stops work in imminent danger situations.
3. Recommends acceptable work practices and corrective actions and ensures their implementation.
4. Develops IH training programs and conducts IH training meetings as necessary.
5. Trains and directs subordinate industrial hygienists in sampling and assessment methodologies.
6. Conducts and assists projects with sampling, monitoring, data interpretation and occupational health surveys to ensure compliance with established programs.
7. Remains cognizant of federal, state, local, or host country regulations affecting industrial hygiene. Ensures dissemination of information on new or revised regulations to supervisory personnel and other employees through verbal and written communications and through revisions to programs.
8. Accompanies regulatory compliance officers/inspectors during project audits to provide technical/operational support relative to compliance with applicable standards.
9. Assists in preparing specific reports as required in accordance with the Bechtel Environmental, Safety & Health Industrial Hygiene manual procedures and associated core processes.
10. Designates controlled/restricted work areas in agreement with policy, regulations and the Bechtel Environmental, Safety & Health Industrial Hygiene manual.
11. Provides input to proposals in the area of industrial hygiene.
Technical knowledge of IH systems, principles, best practices, and calculations and the application of IH methods, standards and materials.
Knowledge of industry and regulatory standards and criteria pertinent to IH.
Knowledge of IH training program materials and methods.
Knowledge of problem investigation, regulatory and internal audit practices and procedures.
Related Bachelors degree and at least 6 years of related professional progressive experience.
In lieu of formal degree, at least 12 years' related professional progressive experience.
Must possess legal right to work in US without sponsorship.
Must be physically capable to conduct field inspections and participate in project walk downs which require the following activities: extensive walking in and around a construction site, climbing ladders, climbing scaffolding, walking on elevated platforms, walking on uneven surfaces, climbing in very small and/or confined spaces, and lifting up to 60 lbs.
Must be able to pass nuclear security screening requirements and be able to obtain and maintain unescorted access to a nuclear power facility.
Good oral and written communication skills.
Proficient in computer applications.
The above is normally acquired through:
a recognized degree in public health or related engineering or scientific discipline from an accredited college or university
certification in Comprehensive Practice of Industrial Hygiene through a recognized accrediting organization
licensing through appropriate regulatory authorities, where required
sufficient number of courses in industrial hygiene
practical work experience in applied industrial hygiene.
Shaping tomorrow together!
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.